What do we have to do in order to let our property?

This a question commonly asked by our clients.

Well let’s see, the most important thing is to have the correct information so you can make an informed decision on how you wish to proceed with letting your property out.

You would firstly need to know whether or not you would like to have your property fully managed or as a let only. The difference between the two is….

Fully Managed – Means that we will prepare your house for the letting market by making sure it has all the current up to date legislative certification, take professional pictures, advertise on all the top web pages including Facebook, arrange viewings, vet prospective tenants, do thorough reference checks, 6 monthly inspections, any queries from your tenants bad and good including payments and all maintenance. With this option you will receive regular updates regarding every part of the process and any additional costs beforehand so there are no surprises. Then you can go on holiday or just put your feet up and let the money roll in.

Let Only – The Let only service we provide is similar to the full management but after the tenancy has been signed you are responsible for the ongoing service to the property and its new tenants. That means keeping up to date with your certifications and maintenance, plus any other queries that they may have.

First steps – Okay, we are now at the stage to understand what the first steps are. We would have to make sure you have all the correct certificates in place so I will list them below to give you a better understanding.

EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) – Before any advertising can commence a valid certificate must be available. (10 Yearly)

Legionella – This is to check your water system to ensure it is safe and free from bacteria’s and is at the correct temperatures. (5 Yearly)

EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) – New legislation as of December 2016, the hard wiring in the property has to be certified to ensure it is safe, the smoke alarms and heat sensors are also checked at this time so that everything is up to date. (5 Yearly)

GSI (Gas Safety Inspection) – An annual gas safety inspection has to be done by a registered engineer, this is to ensure that everything is again safe and that there are no leaks, in addition the carbon monoxide alarms are also inspected so they are up to date. (Yearly)

You are more than welcome to get any of these done for yourself although for peace of mind we prefer to use our own trusted contractors that have been with us for many years.

So that is the first steps to get your property onto the rental market. I hope this helps and puts your mind at ease as I know it can be a bit daunting if you have not done this before.

Back to What's Going On
Website designed and managed by Vital Hike Vital Hike